Leadership Safeguarding Statement
The Leadership of Woodlands Church recognises the importance of its ministry with children and young people and adults in need of protection and its responsibility to protect everyone entrusted to our care.
The following statement was agreed by the leadership during May 2021
This church is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults and ensuring their well-being. Specifically:
- We recognise that we all have a responsibility to help prevent harm; whether physical, sexual, psychological, financial or discriminatory, abuse and neglect of adults at risk of harm and to report any such abuse that we discover or suspect.
- We believe every child should be valued, safe and happy. We want to make sure that children we have contact with know this and are empowered to tell us if they are suffering harm.
- All people have the right to be treated with respect, to be listened to and to be protected from all forms of abuse.
- We recognise the personal dignity and rights of Adults and Children will ensure all our policies and procedures will reflect this.
- We believe all people should enjoy and have access to every aspect of the life of the place of worship/organisation.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the appointment and selection of those who will work with children and adults with care and support needs.
With regard to safeguarding, we are committed to:
- Reviewing this statement and our policy and procedures annually.
- Following the requirements of UK legislation in relation to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults and good practice recommendations.
- Implementing the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Acts 1995 and 2005, Equality Act 2010, Care Act 2014 and all other relevant legislation regarding safeguarding and wellbeing.
- Ensuring that workers adhere to the agreed procedures of our safeguarding policy.
- Keeping up to date with national and local developments relating to safeguarding.
- Supporting the Safeguarding Leads in their work and in any action they may need to take in order to protect children/vulnerable adults.
- Ensuring that everyone in the church understands the basic requirements of and following the ‘Safe and Secure’ safeguarding standards developed by Thirtyone:eight.
- Ensuring those working with young people and vulnerable adults agree to abide by these recommendations and the guidelines established in this policy.
- Supporting parents and families.
- Nurturing, protecting and safeguarding children and young people.
- Supporting, resourcing, training, monitoring and providing supervision to all those who undertake this work.
- Supporting all in the church affected by abuse.
• Children’s Care Services (or equivalent) has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about a child. Adult Social Care (or equivalent) has lead responsibility for investigating all allegations or suspicions of abuse where there are concerns about a vulnerable adult.
- Where an allegation suggests that a criminal offence may have been committed then the police should be contacted as a matter of urgency.
- Where working outside of the UK, concerns will be reported to the appropriate agencies in the country in which we operate, and their procedures followed.
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility.
If you have any concerns for a child or vulnerable adult then speak to one of the following who have been trained as Safeguarding Co-ordinators for this place of worship/organisation:
Dave Lambert (Safeguarding Coordinator and Lead Recruiter)
Ruth Rimmer (Deputy Safeguarding Coordinator and Recruiter for AM congregation)
Anna Pilgrim (Deputy Safeguarding Coordinator and Recruiter for PM congregation)
The full-time elder assigned to Safeguarding is Jon Butler. Jon would be the leader to go to if you have any concerns that the Safeguarding Coordinator or Deputy are not adhering to safeguarding policy.
If you have a disclosure to make, or need to record one, please use our Safeguarding Incident Report Form found here.
A copy of this policy is available from the church administrator or any of those listed above.
Signed by Church Leadership (Elders) and Chair of the Trustees